Saturday, February 27, 2010

Assessment in the Visual Arts Part 3: Effort

As I've mentioned in my earlier posts, assessment in the visual arts isn't as clear cut as maybe it has seemed to be in the past. I've listed some pros and cons in assessing based on the criteria of neatness and creativity and use of art materials. Today, I'd like to touch base on Effort and other variables.

Effort is a more 'trackable' assessment tool, as we can see a student's progress throughout an implemented art project. I like to set 'daily goals' for my students, letting them know how much work they should be able to complete during the 45 minute art class. Sometimes the goals are simplified (project must be near 50% complete), and other times more specific (you must complete carving stage one and three cool color prints)...but in each case, it gives me a better 'visual' for how much effort is being expended during the class. It's not always 'clear-cut' as there are some students who need more individual attention, but by the same time I try to work with each student at least once as I walk thru my room. However, a negative attribute to tracking 'effort' is that sometimes 'effort' is confused with 'productivity'. Because a student who meets the daily goal, but does so in a way that shows little craftmanship, and no attention to detail surely should not be assessed equally as the student who does NOT meet the daily goal, yet shows a high level of craftmanship and attention to detail.

So, in turn effort becomes just as confusing as an assessment tool as neatness, creativity, and use of art materials. So...with all this confusion, how do art educators best 'grade' and 'assess' their students to ensure success in their art programs? I'd love to hear some comments, suggestions, and tools that you use. Please feel free to leave a comment. Let's get some discussion going!

-dug!

No comments:

Post a Comment