Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Assessment in the Visual Arts Part 2: Use of Art Materials

A few weeks ago I rambled at my dissatisfaction with assessment in the visual arts; specifically using neatness and creativity as benchmarks. Today, I'm going to point out some pros and cons of using "Use of Art Materials" as another criteria when grading and assessing visual art in your classroom.

When I evaluate student work based on how well they used the given art materials during a specific project there are a few things I try to keep in mind. The first is to keep 'neatness' out of the equation. If the painting is really messy because the student lacks the skill of using the materials, but DID use the materials as directed, should he/she be penalized for it??? Probably not. They should be assessed based upon them using the materials as directed. But then...what if the student did not use the materials as directed...but ended up with a better result? Should we dock points for use of art materials, while also awarding points for 'creativity', for thinking 'outside the box' with given directions? I mean...if there's a school subject that champions "thinking outside the box", it's the visual arts field.

You'll notice I ask quite a few questions, without really giving any clear answers. Basically...these are the questions that I'm dealing with, as an art educator. And I'm sure that there are others who are also dealing with these larger assessment questions. How do you 'grade' and/or 'assess' your students use of art materials? Do you have a way that works for you? For me...I'm in my ninth year of teaching, and I'm just wondering if there is another way to do things, which promotes more 'fairness' and success.

Post your thoughts and opinions and come back for Part 3: Effort next week!

-dug!

No comments:

Post a Comment